I’m a pretty happy person. I’m realistically optimistic and usually expect the best. But I can also be a bit moody (“What the hell does THAT mean?”) and can get gloomy if I find myself doing the same thing over and over again.
I’m also pretty good at cheering myself up. I have lots of go-to activities that lift my spirits because sometimes it’s the small things that make life worthwhile. (That wasn’t a sex joke.)
Along with a box of See’s toffee, snuggling at night with my hubbie, stargazing and doing yoga, these things always bring a smile to my face:
- Opening a new book by a favorite author
(But I’m not sure if I’m emotionally ready for this book.)
- Browsing the selection of pastries at a local bakery
- That pins-and-needles feeling when my foot falls asleep
- Watching someone singing out loud as they walk down the street
- Dropping the f-bomb
- Watching drivers stop to avoid a family of ducks
- Plugging into my iPod at the gym
- Leaving the gym
- Kicking off my shoes after work and blasting music as I drive home
- Practicing my Oscar/Pulitzer acceptation speech
- Surviving the latest Armageddon scare
- Eating Twizzlers during a road trip
- Watching a lightning storm
- Getting hugs from my grandkids
- Napping so hard I wake up not sure what day it is
- Clean sheets
- The sound of ice cubes cracking when I pour Coke into my glass
- A perfect margarita
- Stepping on crunchy leaves
- Walking Ringo in the morning
- When toddlers swear
- Remembering how my mom always flipped people off
- Watching young girls try to walk in heels
- This stop sign in my neighborhood
- Hot fudge sundaes
- Wrapping up in towels warm from the dryer
- When my jeans still fit after a long weekend of eating crap
- The phrase “interpretive dance”
- When I send a finished article to my editor
- Getting a package or handwritten letter in the mail
- Hearing that crackly noise when my vacuum picks up dirt
- Watching parents discipline their toddler in the mall
- Laughing at work
- Trying something new
- Munching on movie theater popcorn
What’s your go-to happy activity?
I share a lot of your happy moments — but I do have a few more —
Laughing until I tears coming down my face while holding my thighs together tightly so I don’t pee my pants (it’s an age and having babies thing).
Listening to my husband tell my grandchildren outrageous stories – like how he was once swallowed by the Loch Ness Monster and pooped out.
Having babies smile at me while waiting in line at the theater, grocery store – wherever!
Those are just a few — I don’t know if I’m just easily amused – or if I have a sick sense of humor – either way I’m not going to change a thing!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Reading this made me smile …mainly because I share a lot of similar things that make me happy!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Reblogged this on milamutsliah.